20 First Indian Women Who Broke the Stereotype Image of Indian Woman.
Now, India is growing beautifully and the numbers of independent women are also increasing. But there was a time when women in India were not treated equivalent to men and they had very fewer chances to prove themselves. At that time, rising between the stereotype mentality and prove them wrong needed much courage than you think. Somewhere, still in the 21st century, people doubt women’s capabilities.
On the Women’s Day, We made this special list of 20 First Indian Women Who Broke the Stereotype Image of Indian Woman and Didn’t Let Stereotypes Hold Them Back. Hope, this will inspire you to achieve your dreams. 🙂
20 First Indian Women Who Broke the Stereotype Image of Indian Woman
There are a lot more women are out there who are continuously fighting for their right and for their dreams. And I know you are also one of them. Dear Girls, Don’t lose hope and do what is right. One day, you will be an inspiration for others. 🙂
1. Homai Vyarawalla was India’s first woman Photojournalist.
Pursuing carrier as a Photographer is very easy nowadays but it takes lots of courage to choose carrier as a photographer in 90’s, especially for a woman. Homai Vyarawalla broke that stereotype image and became India’s first woman Photojournalist and photographer.
2. Sarla Thakral was the First Indian Woman to Fly.
In 1936 Sarla Thakral earned Pilot License and flew Gypsy Moth Aeroplane. She was the First Indian Woman to Fly and gave wings to dream of many other women.
3. Rajani Pandit, First Indian woman Private Detective
Rajani Pandit was the first Indian woman who became a private investigator or Private Detective. She received numerous awards, and is considered one of the most famous detectives in India.
4. Noor Inayat, British Spy
Noor Inayat was the Indian Princess Who Also was British Spy. She Was Killed by Germans During World War II.
5. The Bandit Queen- Phoolan Devi
I am sure she needs no Introduction. Phoolan Devi was popularly known as “Bandit Queen” as she was an Indian bandit. Later she was twice elected to the Lok Sabha as the member for Mirzapur.
6. Bachendri Pal, an First Indian woman mountaineer
Bachendri Pal is the first Indian woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest in 1984. She is awarded Padma Bhushan by Government of India in 2019.
7. Surekha Yadav, India’s first female loco pilot
Surekha Yadav is a first Indian female loco pilot of the Indian Railways. She became India’s first female train driver in 1988.
8. Karnam Malleswari, first Indian female to win Olympic medal.
Malleswari won the world title in the 54 kg division in 1994 and 1995 and became the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Olympics.
9. Arati Saha, first Indian female to cross
Arati Saha was an Indian long distance swimmer and became the first Indian as well as Asian woman to swim across the English Channel in 1959.
10. Durgabai Kamat, the first female actress of Indian cinema.
Durgabai Kamat, the first female actress of Indian cinema. Before her, director had to use male actors in female role. Dadasaheb Phalke introduced her in his second movie in year 1913.
11. Kalpana Chawla, the first woman of Indian origin in space.
Kalpana chawla was the first female of Indian origin to go to space.
12. Kiran Bedi, the first woman to join the Indian Police Service
Kiran Bedi is the first woman to join the Indian Police Service (IPS).
13. Lakshmi Sahgal, First women officer of the Indian National Army.
Lakshmi Sahgal was the first Indian woman officer of the Indian army. She was also Minister of Women’s Affairs in the Azad Hind government.
14. Reita Faria Powell, First Indian Miss World 1966 pageant
Reita Faria Powell was the First Indian women to become Miss World and the winner of the Miss World 1966 pageant.
15. Shushmita Sen, First Indian Women to become Miss Universe
Shushmita Sen is the First Indian Women to become Miss Universe in 1994.
16. Dr. Seema Rao is India’s first woman commando trainer
Dr. Seema Rao is India’s first woman commando trainer, having trained Indian Special forces for 18 years without compensation.
17. Anandibai Gopalrao Joshi, first Indian female physicians.
Anandibai Gopalrao Joshi was one of the earliest Indian female physicians.
18. Pratibha Patil, First women president of India.
Pratibha Patil is the first woman Indian president who served as the 12th President of India from 2007 to 2012.
19. Arundhati Bhattacharya, first woman to be the Chairperson of State Bank of India.
Arundhati is the first woman to be the Chairman of State Bank of India. She is the only Indian listed on Fortune’s world’s greatest leaders list ranked at 26.
20. Fathima Beevi, first female judge
Fathima Beevi became the first female judge to be a part of the Supreme court of India.
Dear Girls, do what is right. One day, you will be the inspiration for others. 🙂 We Love your spirit and wishing you Happy Women’s Day. :*
Read More: UNSTOPPABLE: A Poem to encourage girls
Leave a comment
Comment policy: We love comments and appreciate the time that readers spend to share ideas and give feedback. However, all comments are manually moderated and those deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted.
nice read very inspiring