Ingrown Toenail: Causes, Symptoms, and Remedies
Have you ever feel the pain of growing corner or side of a toenail into the flesh? If yes, then only you can understand the degree of pain. It is a very small thing that gives bigger pain.
Here in this post, I will explain to you the causes, symptoms, and ways to cure the ingrown toenail.
What is ingrown toenail?
When the corner or the edge of the toenail cuts into the surrounding tissue, it is known as an ingrown toenail. It can lead to redness, swelling, and pain. It can also happen when the skin overgrows the toenail bed. In the affected area, bacteria can form, and sometimes it can lead to fungal infection.
This is also known as onychocryptus if left untreated can cause inflammation and acute pain too. An ingrown toenail generally affects your big toe.
In this blog, I am going to tell you the causes and symptoms of ingrown toenails and how to treat them at your home.
So, let’s start
Causes of Ingrown toenail:
- Improper fitting of shoes
- Having unusual curvature of toenail
- Cutting your toenails too short or obliquely
- Repetitive pressure on the foot
- Abnormal gait
- Poor hygiene of foot
So, these were some common causes for ingrown toenails. Although there can be more reasons too. Ingrown toenails come with a package of pain, discomfort, and infections and need to be treated as soon as possible, but before that, you need to detect whether it is actually an ingrown toenail or not.
Symptoms of ingrown toenail:
- Infection in the tissue surrounding the toenail
- Swelling in the toenail
- Redness around the toenail
- Pain and tenderness around the toenail
Now, you know how to detect an ingrown toenail, it’s time to learn how to treat it. You can also visit a physician or general surgeon to treat your ingrown toenail but don’t you think it will be painful? I am going to tell you some home remedies which will be less painful but effective.
Home Remedies to Treat an Ingrown Toenail
Here are few home remedies to cure the Ingrown Toenails:
1. Using apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, it is something that is easily available and you should keep it in your kitchen because of its versatile use. Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature which can help in preventing any infection. Due to its anti-bacterial characteristics, it can allow the wound to stay clean while healing.
How to use?
Well, there are different ways to use apple cider vinegar for the treatment of toenail; a few of them are as follows
- In a tub add one-third cup raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Allow the toenail to soak for about 30 minutes. After soaking it for half an hour dry your foot nail with a clean towel. Repeat this procedure two to three times a day until it gets healed.
- You can also use a cotton ball by soaking it in the raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar and put it on the ingrown toenail and cover it with a doctored tape. Don’t remove it before two-three hours.
- Drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar which is diluted in 8 ounces of water twice a day. It will allow you to heal yourself from inside, you can have this method in addition to the above two methods.
It is one of the most important ingredients of Indian dishes, it is known for healing and anti-inflammatory characteristics. Turmeric can also use in treating and healing ingrown toenails. It contains curcumin which has anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties.
How to use?
Well it has many ways and few are as follows
- Make a paste using a half tablespoon of turmeric and a bit of mustard oil. Rub the paste over the ingrown toenail gently and cover it up with a bandage. Repeat this remedy at least twice a day and make sure to apply a fresh bandage every time.
- You can have turmeric with milk as it has antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties, so it will allow you to get healed from the inside as well.
3. Epsom salt
Magnesium sulfate or Epsom salt is a drying agent known for its soothing and healing properties. It can act as a disinfectant for ingrown toenail and prevent any further infection. It will reduce the inflammation and sooth up the skin around the ingrown toenail which will make it easier to come out.
How to use?
Add a tablespoon of Epsom salt in lukewarm water in a tub. Soak your foot with ingrown toenail in the tub for 20 to 30 minutes. Dry your feet with a clean towel.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a very effective disinfectant; it can be beneficial in treating ingrown toenail. It will reduce the risk of any kind of infection and will relieve you from pain and discomfort. It softens the skin around the ingrown toenail and you can easily trim out your toenail.
How to use it?
Add a cup of hydrogen peroxide in lukewarm water in a tub and put your foot in it. Soak your foot in the hydrogen peroxide solution for 20 to 30 minutes. Dry your foot with a clean towel. Repeat this remedy twice or thrice a day until your toenail gets healed up.
5. White Flower Oil
This oil is prepared from combination of different oils like peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus oil. It can give you relief from pain and discomfort caused by ingrown toenail. It can also prevent any possible infection if applied on the affected area of the ingrown toenail.
How to use?
Soak a cotton ball in the white flower oil and rub it gently around the affected area. Do not apply this oil directly on the ingrown toenail.
Keep this oil out of the reach of the children and pets as it is considered as poisonous oil. Make sure you do not ingest it.
So, these were five different ways to treat an ingrown toenail at home. In case you feel pain and discomfort for a long time then I will advise you to consult a physician or a general surgeon. Ingrown toenail should be treated as soon as possible!
Basically, the most common reason for an ingrown toenail is related to our footwear, either they are unhygienic or they are too tight. Make sure you change your socks every day and wear only clean shoes. Unhygienic shoes can also lead to various fungal and bacterial growths on the foot like arts and corns which are very painful as an ingrown toenail.
“STAY HYGENIC STAY HYDRATED”