How to Stop a Nosebleed at Home: 12 Nose Bleeding Treatments
Nose bleeding can be a quite scary thing for those who are not familiar with such situations and medical conditions. Though a nose bleeding is nothing to panic about but blood dripping down from your nose can push you to get worried and scared. Most of the time it’s just the tiny blood vessels in your nose that get ruptured and swell resulting in your nose bleeding.
The nose is indeed a very sensitive part of your face that is not likely to take many of disturbances or shocks, such as a sudden punch or climatic changes. Yes, you read it right, your nose cannot resist sudden extreme climatic changes in your surrounding. Many people face nose bleeding in winter or in dry climates and it’s normal.
Types of nose bleeding:
There are many kinds of nose bleeding. You must know about each of them before doing any kind of treatment.
1. Anterior Nosebleed:
The nose bleed that comes from the front side of your nose is called anterior nose bleed. It usually happens due to a hit or scratch in the inner lining of your nostril walls.
2. Posterior Nosebleed:
When the tissues in your nasal cavity get damaged and ruptured, your nose starts to bleed. This can occur for a longer time than usual nose bleeds and may last up to 20-25 minutes.
What causes nosebleeds:
There can be multiple reasons why your nose bleeds. Some of the common
- Sports-related injury
- Dry air
- Nose picking
- Rubbing the nose
- Upper respiratory infection
- High Altitudes
- Harsh nose picking
- Excessive usage of nasal sprays
These are the nose bleeding reasons that you must know before its treatment.
Home Remedies To Stop Nosebleed
If you are searching how to stop a nosebleed at home. Here are few home remedies that can stop
1. Cold Compress
Well, this is one of the most effective and easiest ways to quickly stop your nose bleed. Just take a handful of ice cubes in an ice pack and store it on your nose. Also, try to drink lots of cool water to stop the bleeding immediately.
- Wrap few ice cubes in a towel and place it on your nose.
- Apply pressure in the affected area and keep changing the direction.
2. Saline Spray
Nose bleeding can also occur due to the dry weather reaction or infection in the inner nostrils. Saline water is an excellent agent to treat infections and increase the production of mucus in the nose. You can also try to keep the inner linings of your nose moisten with saline water in extreme climatic conditions.
- Mix a half teaspoon of salt in water. Stir the mixture without any salt remains in the solution.
- Squirt the water in the affected nostril with a syringe and then blow it out.
- Repeat it for 6-7 times until your nostrils are clear and normal.
3. Essential Oils
Essential oils have excellent properties of astringent which helps to soothe the cells in your nostrils and stop the bleeding. The best of all is lemon oil and lavender oil. These two essential oils are the best nose bleeding treatment.
- Dilute few drops of essential oil in water and dip a paper towel in this mixture.
- Gently press the towel in your nose. Repeat it for a couple of minutes until your bleeding stops or slows down.
4. Nettle Leaf
Nose bleeding should be initially tried to stop by an herbal remedy than any other medicinal way. Nettle leaf is a natural ingredient with rich properties of astringent and a hemostatic agent which will help in curing your bleeding nose. Meanwhile, it is also safe in comparison with essential oils. They cause no allergic reaction and are best as an on-the-spot treatment.
- Brew some fresh nettle leaves in hot water.
- Let it completely cool down.
- Apply few drops of the mixture to instantly stop your nose bleed.
You can also try to inhale a few dry nettle leaves in case of not having time to boil and cool the mixture. The raw power of the leaves too helps to stop the nose from further bleeding.
Onions in the olden days were used as a nasal drug to cure the nosebleed. The Ayurveda experts swear by the white onion to be one of the best remedies for nostril bleeds. It can either be consumed as a soup or applied directly as a raw medicine. In both ways, onions are believed to do wonders for a nosebleed.
- Grate a white onion thoroughly and squeeze out the juice from it.
- Use a clean cotton ball and now apply it in the affected nostril for 3-4 minutes.
6. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel has natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help to stop your nose bleeding in no time. If you have witch hazel at home then this is the best nose bleeding treatment that you can use at home.
- Extract the natural drops of witch hazel from the leaves.
- Apply this extract on your nose with a clean cotton ball and don’t dilute the extract.
Use this remedy when you feel a burning sensation in your nose or when your nose bleeds during the day.
Coriander is an excellent cooling agent for minor burns and bleedings. It reduces the discomfort feeling in your nose and repairs the cells to quickly heal down and stop bleeding.
- Extract some fresh coriander juice and apply it directly on your nose.
- In case of emergency, you can also keep the coriander leaves directly on your nose to stop the bleeding immediately.
The cooling effect of the coriander will promptly stop the bleeding and also give your nose a calm effect.
8. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper stops bleeding by stimulating your blood circulation. A small amount of cayenne pepper does wonders to a bleeding nose by fostering the clotted blood in your nose and soothing down the pain very easily.
- First of all, you can either add a teaspoon cayenne pepper into one glass of water and drink it.
- You can also take a small amount of cayenne pepper in your palm and snort it in the affected nostril.
In both the cases, cayenne pepper will heal your nostril damages and stop the bleeding. Always remember to wash your hands to avoid contact with eyes.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature and helps to constrict the blood vessels, thus stopping your nose bleed. This remedy is really effective in case of severe nose bleeding and works well from the first attempt itself.
- Dip a cotton ball in the vinegar and place it on the affected area.
- Repeat the method in every 4-5 minutes or until you see no more bleeding.
Take care that you don’t feel any irritation in your nose while treating with the apple cider vinegar. If you want, you can dilute the mixture with one teaspoon of water to ease the strong vinegar smell.
If you have frequent occurrences of nosebleed, prepare this cinnamon mixture and store it with you. You can apply it whenever you see your nostrils bleeding in the daytime. It will help in reducing the bleeding from your nose.
- Soak a cinnamon bark in a glass of hot water for overnight.
- Dip a clean cotton ball and apply it to the nostrils for quick relief.
A cup of the tea extracted from the goldenseal is another excellent herbal remedy that will work great on your nose bleed. It helps in the easy contract of the flexible fibers in your nostrils and help to stop the further flow of blood.
- Steep some herbal leaves in water and extract the tea from it.
- Cover yourself with a blanket and Inhale the steam form this hot tea for 4-5 minutes.
The antimicrobial, astringent, and hemostatic properties of the herb easily help is stopping the further flow of blood from your nose.
12. Pinch the nose
Pinching the nose sends pressure to the bleeding point in the nasal septum. This helps the blood to stop flowing immediately.
Sit straight with your head tilted slightly forward. Use your thumb and index finger to pinch the soft part of your nose for about five to 10 minutes. Remember to breathe from your mouth. Release the pressure gently and sit quietly for about five minutes. Repeat till the blood doesn’t stop flowing. This will help in reducing the blood flow in the affected area.
Read More, Health benefits of Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
Nosebleeds aren’t a serious issue in most of the cases. You can opt for any of these stated natural home remedies to cure your nose bleed. But in case if the matter gets worse, don’t take it for granted and instead rush to the doctor as soon as possible.
Apart from these home remedies, you can also try some of these basic pointers to treat your nose bleed. These are the basic nose bleeding treatments to stop a nose bleed fast.
- Sit in an upright position to stop the nose from further bleeding.
- Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.
- Breathe through your mouth.
- Elevate your head to sleep. Use two pillows to make the proper elevation.
- Take a proper amount of vitamin K and C. It helps in keeping the lining in your nose moist and protected.
- Apply petroleum jelly to keep your nostrils moisturized and prevent a nosebleed by combating the dryness.
- If you have a frequent nosebleed, avoid taking medicines with aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Keep your nose and mouth covered in places of pollution. The harmful effluents may get inside and cause irritation in the nostrils.
Also, Read Health Mistakes that you are making Everyday
Now, you know what causes nosebleeds and what to do for a nosebleed, do your best to stop a nosebleed. Remember to calm the patient first and then do nose bleeding treatment.