How to Make Hand Sanitizer at Home – Step by Step Guide
The hand wash or soap is the best way of preventing the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19 or Corona Virus. Nothing can beat the old-fashioned way of washing hands with soap to prevent germs from entering our bodies.
But what if water and soap aren’t available near you? It happens when we are outside or during travel. In such a situation the next best option is to use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Alcohol-based sanitizers are the best way to prevent the spreading of infectious diseases.
As you know, Nowadays, Coronavirus is spreading faster in the world than ever, the hand sanitizer and face mask are the must-have things when you are outside. Due to COVID-19, people are facing difficulty in finding hand sanitizers at any online and offline store right now. Due to the rapid spread of the novel coronavirus, most retailers are unable to fulfill the demand of hand sanitizers.
If you have a stockpile of store-bought hand sanitizer in your home, that’s good but if not then what to do? Well, all it takes is 5 simple ingredients to make your own hand sanitizer at home.
You can make your own hand sanitizer at home in just a few minutes and that too at very little cost.
DIY Hand Sanitizer at Home
To make hand sanitizer at home for preventing the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19 the main and important ingredient is Alcohol. Therefore, we will make an Alcohol-based homemade hand sanitizer. It’s best to have an alcohol isopropyl or rubbing alcohol with 99 percent alcohol volume, but if not then Isopropyl rubbing alcohol with 70% alcohol is also enough.
According to the CDC, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. The use of alcohol is necessary because the bacteria and viruses don’t survive in alcohol.
The alcohol makes skin dry, therefore we need any body-oil or Vitamin-E in the homemade hand sanitizer. The oil helps in preventing this homemade sanitizer for a long time. The aloe vera extract works as the base of the alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Alcohol isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99 percent alcohol volume): Buy from HERE or From Here
- Aloe vera Gel: Buy from Here
- Any Body Oil or Vitamin E capsules
- Essential Oil like clove, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender or other essential oil (for fragrance)
- Distilled water (As required)
IMP: If you are making a hand sanitizer with rubbing alcohol (99 percent alcohol volume) then stick to a 3:1 proportion of alcohol to water. If you are making germ-busting hand sanitizer with is to rubbing alcohol (70 percent alcohol volume), don’t use water.
- Use any measuring container for a perfect ratio and a mixing bowl. For example, we are making 300ml of hand sanitizer. For making 300ml of hand sanitizer, take
- 100ml of Aloe Vera and 200ml of rubbing alcohol (70 percent alcohol volume) or
- 100ml of Aloe Vera, 140ml of rubbing alcohol (99 percent alcohol volume) and 60ml of mineral water or distilled water.
- Mix all these ingredients well.
- Add 2-3 spoon of body oil or Vitamin-E
- Also, add few drops of essential oil which give this sanitizer a good fragrance.
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- Pour this mixture into an empty bottle for easy use, and label it “hand sanitizer.”
That’s all!! Your homemade sanitizer is ready to use. 🙂
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol is also good enough to prevent the spreading of infectious diseases like COVID-19. Read More
- Soap and water are most effective than hand sanitizers at removing certain kinds of germs, like Cryptosporidium, norovirus, and Clostridium Difficile. Read More
- Hand sanitizers may not be as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy.