Self-love redefines your beauty. And what’s better than giving some time to your body? A healthy body is somehow incomplete without a radiant personality. And a pleasing personality also includes being confident about yourself. It is essential to look after yourself, without neglecting anything. But our excessively busy schedule hardly allows us with any time to do the needful.
Take the example of someone working in the corporate sector. There is so much of work that one literally struggles to get time to go out and shop the basic essentials. Another instance is leg day in the gym. It might have been an amazing day, but you get so tired that you even choose to sideline what your body craves for.
Well, pampering your legs is something that you always forget. I bet you must not have given a second thought on that, but you are yet to realize how important it is to take care of your feet. And the one answer to all your doubts is Pedicure. We have nerves that help in the functioning of the entire body, so it is definitely important to give them relaxation. Pedicure not only gives you a therapeutic experience but also cures many fungal problems.
What is DIY Pedicure?
First of all, it is important to know what is Pedicure. The term ‘Pedicure’ is derived from the Latin word ‘Predis’ meaning ‘ of the foot’ and ‘Cura’ meaning ‘care’. It is a foot treatment that includes clipping, cutting, and cleaning of the nails. But the result of doing a pedicure is more than a just clean foot. It ensures moisturization and removal of dead cells. A healthy body is beautiful, and pedicure is definitely a must in the skincare routine.
The introduction of Pedicure is not new. But since last 20 years, the beauty industry has seen a rise in it. People have been more aware of the benefits and essentiality of doing a pedicure. Of course, foot spas or salons offer a wide range of choices. There is a long list, each one more attractive to the other. While a regular pedicure and French pedicure are quite common, there are other popular pedicure treatments that include Fish pedicure, Wine pedicure, Anti-tan pedicure, and Chocolate Pedicure etcetera. No doubt it is a refreshing experience to rest your feet and get top-notch treatment. But then booking an appointment, getting stuck in the traffic, a sometimes paying more than you want might spoil the mood. What comes to rescue is DIY pedicure at home.
Doing your own pedicure at home not only saves time and money but also gives you a better idea of what your body truly requires. You can also choose from the natural ingredients from your kitchen and that will definitely be safer than the cosmetics.
Home Pedicure Kit:
Doing pedicure at home is extremely simple. You can do your own pedicure with few items. Here are the things that are important for your home pedicure kit. For a basic understanding, we can divide the process into seven steps. Soak, File, Scrub, Shape, Cuticles, Polish and Condition. And the tools to be used for this are mostly easy to get.
A small bucket:
The pedicure begins with soaking the feet. And a small bucket is the first thing to get.
Warm soapy water:
Soaking the feet in the warm water does not only provide relaxation but also prepares your foot for the pedicure. Pour few drops of body soap in the warm water.
This amazing thing removes dirt and dry skin from the bottom of the foot.
A scrub exfoliates your skin. It helps in removing dead cells and also increases circulation.
Forgetting moisturization is a big no. So keep a foot cream handy.
Nail cutter/Nail Clipper:
Cutting your nails into the shape you want is what comes next in line and you’ll need a nail cutter for that.
A cuticle pusher is a tool used to push back the cuticles. You can get a steel or wooden cuticle pusher.
A cuticle nipper is used to red rid of extremely dry skin. But this is entirely optional.
This tool is used to give proper shape to the nails. Remember to make sure that your nails are dry because wet nails might break.
Removing dirt and stain from the nail is necessary and a nail brush does the work effectively.
Used when applying nail polish, a toe separator ensures that your nail art does not get smudged.
Applying nail polish is optional again. You can avoid it and your foot will still look stunning.
So this is the entire home pedicure kit. Always keep in mind to clean the equipment, so as to avoid any sort of bacterial infections and be ensured about the hygiene.
How To Do Pedicure at Home
Doing your own pedicure at the comfort of your home is as therapeutic as getting it done in a salon. All you need is to understand the technique and a bit of practice. And voila!
Creating the atmosphere a relaxed feeling is important. So, turn on a favorite playlist and get a comfortable chair. Keep some towels so as to prevent your house from getting messy. Follow these steps for doing pedicure at home:
- Begin with soaking your feet in the bucket filled with warm water. You can add essential oil or Epsom salt to it. Let your feet soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Add few drops of body soap onto the pumice stone and gently rub it on the back of your foot. This will remove the rough, dry and dead cells. Removing dead cells regularly also prevents cracked heels.
- Soaking your foot is followed by scrubbing. Apply a foot scrub and give a gentle massage to pamper your skin. You can also apply it on your calves. Take a warm towel and wrap it around your calves. This will relax your muscles.
- After some time remove the scrub with that towel. By this time your foot must have got dried and ready for rest of the process.
- Take the nail cutter and cut your nails.
- Apply cuticle oil and use a Cuticle pusher to push your cuticles.
- Now file your nails.
- You can give your toes bit more shine by applying nail polish. But before that don’t forget to put on the toe separator.
- Moisturise your foot and it’s a wrap.
Read More: Best Foot Creams for Cracked Heels
Tips for Pedicure:
No doubt DIY pedicure is quite an easy task. But when done correctly only. Being half hazard will rather spoil your work. Or worse, it might hurt your nails, sometimes causing serious injuries. So, here is a list of tips that will help you in having a perfect experience.
- CLEAN YOUR TOOLS:- It’s the rule number one. Cleanliness is next to godliness. Well, not speaking in the spiritual term but yes you can’t just neglect to maintain your tools. Even if you use it for yourself, it might get affected by germs.
- DON’T BE HARSH:- Don’t be too harsh while filing or using the nail clippers. The carelessness might lead to causing injuries.
- APPLY THE NAIL POLISH PROPERLY:- Overdoing your nail polish will only give a shabby look and you have to wipe it off eventually. Also, if you have yellow nails you can rub a lemon on it while soaking your feet.
- WEAR SOCKS: After moisturising your feet, do wear socks for some time. It will make your feet soft.
Also Read: How to Remove Tanning from Feet
These are some tips for pedicure. Now, you know how to do pedicure at home, no need to go parlor for the pedicure. Just follow these steps of DIY pedicure and save money. Do share your experience with us after your first DIY pedicure.
Stay Healthy and Stay Beautiful.