15 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth
Essential oils have a great name in their result-generating performances when it comes to beauty and health remedies. But just a hand full of people are aware of the fact that these essential oils also help in stimulating your hair follicles and help in growing them strong and thick. Have you ever wondered why a normal oil message isn’t sufficing your scalp enough to grow healthy hair?
Your scalp already has a light natural oil produced by the glands, it’s called sebum. This sebum helps to keep your scalp skin lubricated and moisturized to protect it from harsh pollutants present in the environment. As a result, you notice severe hair falls, frizziness, dry itchy scalp, and much more. Well, in such a case a normal oil isn’t just enough to do the working on your hair follicles. We believe that there’s always store something amazing in the books of nature.
You can use the best shampoos for hair fall control or a hair mask for damaged hair to make your hair better. But this is not enough. You have to use some natural ingredients like Flaxseed, Aloe vera, and Onion juice to control hair fall. Take proper Food for Hair Growth along with hair mask.
Here we are with the top 15 essential oils to grow back your hair healthy and strong. These oils will not only benefit n growing your hair thick and long but also nourish and condition them deeply.
Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth
Below is the list of the best essential oils for hair growth and thickness. These natural hair growth oils are best in promoting hair growth. You can use any of them as per your hair conditions. We mentioned every detail here.
1. LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL
Extracted from the pure lavender plant, Lavender essential oil has a refreshing aroma and a heavenly scent. It was found in a study in 2016 that, lavender oil can work great on your skin as well as on your scalp to stimulate hair growth. Lavender oil is one of the best essential oils for Hair Growth.
This essential oil is an excellent source of moisturizer, antimicrobial, and antiseptic to your scalp which balances the sebum production and keeps your dandruff and hair fall under control. It also helps to reduce severe issues like pattern baldness or alopecia.
- Mix 8 – 10 drops lavender essential oil with a 3-4 tbsp of carrier oil and massage it into your hair.
- Wash it off the next morning.
2. ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OIL
Rosemary oil is one of the refreshing oils with a tint of minty and woody scent in it. Extracted from the highly concentrated and distilled extracts of the volatile plants, rosemary oil is an excellent remedy for many of the common hair problems.
With excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, this essential oil has been identified for ages as an effective remedy to prevent hair thinning and hair graying. It stimulates the hair follicles and promotes further hair growth.
- Heat 3 tsp of olive oil and blend it 10 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Apply it on your scalp and cover it with a damp towel for 30 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with a mild shampoo.
3. CEDARWOOD ESSENTIAL OIL
Cedarwood essential oil is well known to stimulate the circulation in your scalp and promote more hair growth on your scalp. It has a sweet woody, warm scent. Cedarwood essential oil, along with lavender and rosemary is well known to reverse the effects of alopecia areata
Cedarwood essential oil is an ideal pick to balance the oil-producing glands in your scalp and generate vigorous hair growth with proper message and care. It is loaded with antibacterial and antiseptic properties which also work in protecting any fungal problems and dandruff in your scalp.
- Add 2 – 3 drops cedarwood oil to 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Massage it into your scalp and leave it for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
4. HELICHRYSUM ESSENTIAL OIL
Helichrysum comes from the family of Asteraceae which is one of the medicinal plants used in various treatments for thousands of years. Helichrysum is a potential plant with its unique abilities to repair your body tissues.
Talking about its uses to grow your hair thick and strong, It improves the overall blood circulation and encourages the nutrients to reach your hair follicles.
Note: Do consult a doctor before trying out this essential oil for hair growth.
- Heat up 4 drops helichrysum essential oil, 4 drops rosemary essential oil and 5 drops lavender essential oil. Blend it well and apply it on your scalp.
- Leave it for 1-2 hours and wash off with a mild shampoo.
5. CYPRESS ESSENTIAL OIL
You’ll come across this essential oil in many of the hair growth products available in the market. This powerful essential oil has a renowned name for its ability to fight infections and stimulate blood circulation in your body. It provides excellent strength to your hair strands and prevents them from breakage and thinning.
- Mix the following and make a blend oil out of it.
- 4 drops cypress essential oil
- 2 drops manuka essential oil
- 4 drops orange essential oil
- 4 tsp jojoba carrier oil
- Apply it to your scalp and leave it for 2-3 hours.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
6. CARROT SEED ESSENTIAL OIL
The essential oils obtained from wild carrots is another essential oil that works great on your hair problems. It is rich in beta-carotene and vitamins which help in developing new cells and stimulate the overall blood circulation in your body.
Most of the time you find this oil be distilled and does not need any carrier while using but on a safer note, always use one. It has a warm and herbaceous scent, giving you a smooth and refreshing feel.
- Mix 2-4 drops of carrot essential oil with 2-3 drops of coconut oil.
- Massage it on your scalp and leave it for at least 1 hour.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo and warm water as the consistency is very greasy on your scalp.
7. VETIVER ESSENTIAL OIL
Vetiver is a plant used in India and Nepal to protect hillsides from erosion and landslides at the time of monsoon. From the roots of the vetiver plant comes the vetiver essential oil. It offers a woody and smoky aroma with thick, black consistency in its oil.
The most amazing function of this oil is that it protects your scalp from excessive heat and protect your hair from falling out in extreme climatic conditions. It gives you a soothing and calming effect from the very first message itself. It’s an excellent alternative to relax and reduce your stress.
- Add 5 – 6 drops of vetiver essential oil to a 2 tbsp warm, sweet almond carrier oil.
- Apply and leave it overnight.
- Wash it off the next morning.
8. YLANG YLANG ESSENTIAL OIL
Ylang Ylang is the flowers from the tropical tree which grow in three bright colors – yellow, pink, and mauve. Ylang Ylang essential oil has a sweet aroma with the high notes of these tropical flowers in them.
This essential oil has multiple uses when it comes to resolving hair problems. It reduces the itching sensation in your scalp and also regulates the sebum secretion in your glands.
Most of the time inadequate sebum becomes a major reason for hair thinning and hair fall. Ylang Ylang oil moisturizes and nourishes your hair to bounce naturally and be healthy.
- Mix 2 tbsp of olive oil and 5 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil.
- Heat it and mix well. Apply this as a hot treatment oil on your scalp and hairs.
- After 1 hour, rinse it off.
9. TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL
Tea tree oil is one of the most well-known ingredients to resolve many of the beauty-related problems. With fresh, cool, and sweeter woody notes, tea tree oil is also proved to be an excellent source of antimicrobial and antifungal remedies.
This essential oil for hair regrowth moisturizes your scalp and unclogs the pores for the natural flow of sebum in the follicles. Moreover, the antibacterial property in the tea tree protects the scalp from further fungal infections and acne.
Massage your scalp with just 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil to see wonders in your hair growth and its texture.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops tea tree essential oil with 2 tbsp sweet almond carrier oil.
- Apply this blend on your hair and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off after 30 minutes with a good shampoo.
10. PATCHOULI ESSENTIAL OIL
Patchouli essential oil offers a different earthy smell which actually most people don’t like yet, the oil is great in deep conditioning and messaging with a perfect blend of other oils.
Patchouli oil increases the hair thickness and texture by keeping your scalp healthy and fostering overall hair growth. Hair problems such as dermatitis, dandruff, and eczema which result in hair thinning and hair fall, can also be treated with Patchouli oil.
- Mix 2 drops of Patchouli essential oil, argan oil and rosemary essential oil each.
- Message this mixture on your hair and leave it for 1-2 hours.
- Clean it off with a mild shampoo.
11. THYME ESSENTIAL OIL
Thyme is another effective herb coming from the family of mint in the books of herbal treatment. Apart from being a part of Ayurvedic and medicinal practices, Thyme essential oil is also an integral part of many beauty remedies and treatments.
It prevents hair loss and treats the problem of baldness in many cases. It increases the blood flow and rejuvenates hair follicles, promoting hair growth and hair thickness.
Note: Thyme should be used in a limited quantity with a carrier oil to avoid any damage to your scalp and hair as it is a potent oil.
- Blend 2 drops thyme essential oil with 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Message it into your hairs thoroughly and leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a chemical-free shampoo.
12. PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL
Peppermint oil is more intense and concentrated than the other essential oils. It has a strong, powerful cooling effect and menthol aroma, and amazing fragrance. It rejuvenates your hair follicles and improves the overall blood circulation to ensure better hair growth and less hair fall in your scalp.
For all those who struggle with their hair condition on summer days, this essential oil is a great remedy to keep your hair clean as well as increase overall growth. Peppermint oil deeply cleanses the dirt and unclogs pores to encourage a normal flow of skin cells.
- Mix 5 drops of Peppermint oil with 2 tbsp warm coconut oil.
- Message this mixture into your scalp and leave it for 1 hour.
- Wash it off with warm water.
13. CHAMOMILE ESSENTIAL OIL
The chamomile essential oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which gives
Most beauty enthusiasts encourage the use of chamomile oil as it not only repairs your damaged hair to promote more hair growth but also deeply conditions and it and acts as a shield from environmental pollutants. It is non-greasy, non-sticky, and easy to use. You need not often wash your hair after an application of chamomile oil.
- Dilute 10 drops of chamomile essential oil with 1 qt of purified water.
- Transfer it into a spraying bottle.
- Use it as a conditioning rinse after the final shampoo.
14. CLARY SAGE ESSENTIAL OIL
Clary sage has a musky, nutty, and wooden fragrance of oil that gives you an extremely impressive scent on your hair. The Clary sage is a herbal plant known for its phytoestrogen content which protects your natural hair and promotes more strength and shines on your hair. It manages the texture of your hair and controls dandruff in your scalp.
If you are someone looking forward to dealing with rough frizzy hair, then defiantly you should go ahead with clary essential oil. Clary works on the rough tips of your hair and makes it naturally shiny and soft. It also helps in hair growth.
- Mix clary sage and jojoba carrier oil in equal parts.
- Message your hair thoroughly with it.
- Leave it off for one hour and then rinse it away.
15. LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
For all those who suffer from an oily, flaky scalp, the lemon essential oil is an excellent pick this season to protect your hair. The fragrance of this oil is light, fruity, and very refreshing in nature. It promotes hair growth and along also repairs the damaged cells of your scalp.
Lemon oil is antibacterial and antiseptic in nature which eventually also helps to protect your hair follicles and scalp from further infections in the future.
- Add 5-6 drops of lemon essential oil with 2 tbsp jojoba essential oil.
- Use it to massage your scalp and leave it overnight.
- Rinse it off the next morning.
Read More, Homemade keratin Hair treatment
Precaution to be taken care of!
- Please consult your doctor if you’re still skeptical about using essential oils.
- Avoid using rosemary oil if you are pregnant or suffer from hypertension. Always consult a doctor for other oils as well.
- Always do a patch test before applying it on your scalp to make sure you don’t have any allergic reactions.
These are the best essential oils for hair growth. These essential oils promote hair growth and also help them in their texture. You can choose any of these essential oils as per your hair texture and hair problems. After applying essential oils, you can do a hair spa at home for better results.
Do share your views after using any of these essential oils for hair in the comments.
If you have any queries in mind, do comment here. We would love to listen your problems and would give a solution after consulting the respective experts.
Stay Healthy, Stay Beautiful. 🙂