13 Amazing Benefits of curd for Hair, Skin and Health
Curd is a dairy product which is prepared by a process known as fermentation. In the process of fermentation, bacteria are added to the milk. Curd has a unique nutritional value which provides benefits in numerous ways. If you are having curd in your diet on a regular basis then it will also help you to build stronger immunity, digestive power and lowers cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.
Before going further let’s discuss the Curd and the difference between curd and Yogurt.
What is Curd?
Dahi or Curd is prepared by milk. For making curd, we have to boil the milk and then cool it to 30-40°C. After that add a spoonful of curd for fermentation. The lactic acid bacteria, also known as lactobacillus in added curd helps in this process of fermentation. The bacteria multiplies itself and in just a few hours the milk change into curd.
Curd is a rich source of calcium and protein. Even the lactose-intolerant people can consume curd (though it depends on the degree of tolerance, do consult with the doctor).
Nutritional Value of curd:
The curd is very beneficial and due to its nutritional value, it is the very popular among people. 100 grams of curd contains:
- About 98 calories
- Around 3.4 grams of carbohydrate
- 11 grams of protein
- Approximately 4.3 grams of fat
- 364 mg of sodium
- 104 mg of potassium
- 0.08 calcium,
- 2% magnesium,
- Vitamin A, D, and B-12
Curd vs Yogurt
Many people in India say that curd and yogurt are the same things. They are just different names for the same thing as curd in India and yogurt in America. Some say that the yogurt is thicker than curd.
But there is a difference between curd and yogurt. The curd is not a standardized product. That means the bacterial strength in curd can vary from one home to the other home. The bacteria present in curd which helps in digestion may or may not reach the intestines alive.
For making Yogurt, the fermentation of the milk is done by adding two very specific bacteria named lactobacillus bulgaris and streptococcus thermophilus. This makes Yogurt standardized and homogenous. The bacteria in Yogurt reach the intestine alive and helps in the digestion process.
Now you knew about the difference between curd and yogurt. So, let’s discuss some benefits of curd for hair, skin, and health separately and how it can be used for getting better results.
Benefits of Curd for Hair
1. Reduces hair fall
Hair fall is a very common problem and can occur due to several reasons like pollution, using harmful chemicals, etc. but one of the most common reasons for hair fall is that the hair follicles are not receiving proper nutrition. Curd can help your hair follicles to get those nutrients and will help you to get rid of hair fall.
How to use curd to prevent hair fall?
- All you need is half cup curd and three tablespoons of ground fenugreek seeds.
- Mix these ground fenugreek seeds in the curd together.
- With the help of a brush, apply this mixture to the strands of your hair.
- Keep it for an hour or more.
- Rinse your hairs with a mild shampoo
Curd contains vitamin B5 and vitamin D which nourishes the hair follicles and prevents hair fall.
2. Hair Conditioning
Curd can also be used as a hair conditioner, rather than wasting money on chemical products and risking the health of your hairs, try using curd which can act as a natural conditioner for your hair.
How to use curd as a conditioner?
- You will need curd, aloe vera gel, and coconut oil to prepare a natural homemade curd conditioner.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of curd with 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Apply this hair pack on your hair strands carefully with the help of a brush and let it remain on your scalp for an hour or more.
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo and do not use the hair dryer to dry your hairs, let them dry on their own.
The curd will help to repair dry and damaged hair, it will provide moisture to the strands and making them conditioned.
3. Treating Dandruff
It is another common hair problem that can be easily countered by using curd. Curd can do wonders in treating dandruff without doing much effort.
How to use curd for treatment of dandruff?
- All you need is half a cup of curd.
- Massage your scalp with curd for at least 10 minutes and let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo after 30 minutes.
Dandruff is a cause of fungus; it can make your skin flaky which causes dandruff and hair fall. Curd is an anti-fungal in nature and has properties that can take down all the dandruff present on the scalp and prevent it from getting further.
4. To get shiny hairs
Yes! Curd can make your hair shine as well, with its cleansing and moisturizing properties curd can provide your hairs enough shine and make them lustrous.
How to use curd to make hair shiny?
- You will need a banana, 2 teaspoons of curd and one teaspoon of honey.
- Mash the banana and mix it with curd and honey.
- Apply the mask to your hair and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Wait for 45 minutes and let it stay on your scalp.
- Rinse your head with a mild shampoo.
Curd is rich in fatty acids, vitamins and essential amino acids that provide nutrition to hair and make them shiny and lustrous.
So, these were some benefits of curd for hair along with the direction of use. Now let us jump to benefits of curds for skin
Benefits of curd for skin
1. Reduction of Dark Circles
Dark circles are very annoying; they do not go easily and make us look tired. These dark circles are the result of the hard work you did for too many sleepless nights. Genetics is also a reason behind the dark circles.
How to use curd for reduction of dark circles?
- All you need is a teaspoon of curd and cotton balls and you are almost done.
- Dip the cotton balls in the curd.
- Gently dab the cotton balls under the eyes.
- Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse.
Curd has lactic acid and anti-inflammatory properties which can help in the reduction of dark circles and puffiness.
Read More, How to remove dark circles at home naturally
2. Fights acne
Acne is another problem especially in the summer season; curd can help you to fight against acne very effectively.
How to use curd to treat acne?
- You will need one teaspoon of curd and cotton balls.
- Simply dip the cotton balls in the curd and apply it to the affected area.
- Make sure you dispose of that cotton ball and do not use it for further application of acne somewhere else on the body as it may spread the acne.
- Keep it overnight and wash it in the morning with cold water.
Curd contains a high amount of lactic acid and zinc which can cure acne effectively.
Also, read How to get rid of acne scars at home
3. Treating skin infections
If you want a natural remedy for skin infections like ringworms, athletes foot, etc then the curd is here for you. You can try using curd to treat such skin infections and fungus.
How to use curd for treating skin infections?
- All you need is one teaspoon curd and gauze.
- Simply apply the curd on the infected area and wrap it with gauze.
- Repeat this procedure two times a day till you the infection is cured.
Curd has probiotics that can treat skin infections caused by pathogens such as fungus or yeast.
4. Soothes Sunburn
Sunburns are the result of overexposing skin in the sunlight. Ultraviolet rays of the sun damage the skin lining causing redness and blisters. Curd can do wonders in the treatment of sunburn very effectively.
How to use curd in the treatment of sunburn?
- You will need curd and cotton balls for this procedure.
- Simply dip the cotton balls in the curd and apply it over the affected areas.
Curd cools down the affected area from the sunburn all because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
Read More, How to remove tan from face
So we have covered benefits of curd for skin and hair, let’s cover up some other important health benefits of curd.
Benefits of curd for health
1. Improves bone strength
Healthy bones are very important for our skeletal systems and to make bones strong and healthy we need calcium and phosphorus. Both of these nutrients are available in curd. Curd is a great source of calcium and phosphorus. It can prevent arthritis and osteoporosis.
2. Vaginal health
Curd has the ability to maintain the pH level of the body; it can help in improving the vaginal health of women.
3. Improves immunity
Regular intake of curd can help you to increase immune power and strength. Curd is probiotic in nature and contains live microorganisms present in it which are needed by the body.
4. Improves Digestive power
If you are suffering from loose motion, constipation, or any other digestive issue then you should add curd to your diet. It can easily help you in getting over with your digestive problems easily and effectively. It also neutralizes the excess acid present in the stomach and maintains the pH level.
5. Helps to lose weight
Curd prevents the growth of cortisol (steroid hormone) in our body, which eventually leads to obesity and hypertension. If you eat curd on a daily basis, this can help in losing a few extra pounds.
Read More, High protein foods for weight loss
These are some important benefits of curd for skin, hair, and health. Even doctors recommend adding curd in the diet due to its nutritional value. So give it a try.
“Eat healthy Stay healthy”