Dandruff is the #1 hair problem of every individual. Be it because of climate change, water problems or new products, dandruff is the only constant. Medically termed as Seborrheic Dermatitis, it produces white flakes of dead skin due to the dry or greasy scalp.
Dandruff causes itching and produces bad odor in the hair. Excessive dandruff can also cause hairfall and acne. When the dandruff flakes fall on the skin, it can cause pimples and tiny bumps on the face. It is also the main factor in causing eye infections such as styes.
Causes of Dandruff:
- Dandruff can be caused due to a variety of conditions such as environmental factors and genetic factors as well. New layers of skin are produced in our body very frequently. When this happens, the older skin is pushed towards the outer surface. Hence, the appearance of flakes. So, dandruff is a normal phenomenon for every individual.
- Sometimes, dandruff can increase due to the increased secretion of sebum in our scalp.
- Although, some bacteria, such as Propionibacterium and Staphylococcus, have also shown to be the main factor in causing dandruff.
- A specific fungus, called Malassezia globosa, is responsible for a specific type of Dandruff. When our scalp produces sebum, this fungus metabolizes triglycerides present in sebum, resulting in a lipid byproduct known as oleic acid. During Dandruff, the levels of Malassezia increases by 1.5 to 2 times its normal level. Oleic acid hence produced penetrates the top layer of the epidermis and evokes an inflammatory response which disrupts the homeostasis. This results in erratic cleavage of the top layer of the epidermis, also known as cleavage of stratum corneum cells. This leads to the detachment of corneocytes from the stratum corneum and hence – produce dandruff.
- Antifungal treatments such as ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione, etc. have been found effective in treating Dandruff as well as Seborrheic Dermatitis.
- Coal tar helps to remove dead cells from the surface of the skin and slows down the process of skin cell growth.
- Management of stress helps to slow down dandruff production.
- Exposure to sunlight for some time is healthy for the scalp, hair, and skin.
There are some importannt Ingredients to look out for in anti-dandruff treatment:
- Ketoconazole – Effective antifungal which can be used at any age.
- Coal tar – It is a natural antifungal agent. It can stain dyed or damaged hair. Overdosage can make coal tar a carcinogen.
- Selenium sulphide – Helps in the reduction of the production of natural oils by glands in the scalp.
- Zinc pyrithione – Helps in slowing down the growth of yeast in the scalp.
- Salicylic acid – It helps in getting rid of the flaked skin cells.
- Tea tree oil – It has antifungal, antibiotic and antiseptic properties. The patch test is advised as some people can be allergic to tea tree oil.
Dandruff Home Remedies:
There are many hair packs and masks you can create at home to get rid of dandruff and get beautiful, shiny hair. Here are a few ways to do dandruff treatment at home
1. Neem Cleanse :
Boil some fresh neem leaves in a pan of water until the water obtains a green hue. After shampooing and conditioning your hair, make the last rinse with this neem water. Make sure the water reaches your scalp and let air dry. Continue using this with your everyday shampoo routine for 1-2 months.
2. Neem and Henna pack :
Get some fresh neem and Henna ( Lawsonia Inermis) leaves. Grind them together to make a dark greenish-brown paste. If you can get past the smell, you’re good to go! Apply this paste to your hair and scalp and leave it on for 30-40 minutes. The Henna might give a brownish-red tint to your hair if you keep it on for longer periods. Wash it off and continue your normal shampoo routine. This pack makes your hair smooth, shiny and dandruff-free.
3. Oil attack :
Mix coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil together and soak your hair in this oil mixture. Keep for about 2 hours or overnight. Wash it off to reveal a clean scalp and healthy hair.
4. Egg mask :
Crack open an egg and mix olive oil and coconut oil with it. Add 4-6 drops of honey and as much lemon juice as you want. The lemon might create a burning sensation in your scalp but does wonders in removing grease and dandruff.
5. Fenugreek pack :
Soak some Fenugreek or methi seeds in water overnight. Then, crush the softened Fenugreek seeds with a little water to create a thick paste. Apply this paste on the scalp and let it sit for 60-90 minutes.
Apply some curd on your hair and leave it for 60-90 minutes. After shampooing, you will be left with silky, shiny and clean hair. The only downside to this is that it’s a bit messy and the hair might keep smelling of curd. You can add a few drops of lemon to this dandruff treatment at home
7. Baking soda:
Apply baking soda to wet scalp. Baking soda helps to remove dandruff but at the same time, makes the hair rough. So deep conditioning is very important after using this technique of getting rid of dandruff.
8. Tea tree oil:
Tea tree oil can be applied on the scalp to remove dandruff. This oil can get a little expensive so, you can mix a few drops of tea tree oil with coconut oil or castor oil. Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
9. Neem-orange pack:
Grind some neem leaves and orange peel in a mixer along with some water. Apply this paste to your hair and leave it on for a few minutes. Wash off with mild shampoo.
10. Multani mitti pack:
Multani mitti is easily available in the market. Create a paste with this and add a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this pack and leave it on until the pack gets dry.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar rinse:
After your normal shampoo, rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar. Massage it into your scalp and keep for 15 minutes. Wash it off with water and a little mild shampoo. Apple Cider vinegar makes the hair smooth and shiny and also cleanses the scalp thoroughly.
12. Green tea:
Brew some green tea and add a few drops of any essential oil. Let this mixture cool down and apply it to your hair. Massage it in and leave it on for 30-50 minutes. Wash it off with mild shampoo.
Crush a few Aspirin tablets and mix it in with your regular shampoo. Let it sit on your hair for not more than 3 minutes. Then wdandruff treatment at homedandruff treatment at homeash your hairs.
Read More,Best shampoo for hair fall control
To minimize dandruff, you must keep your hair and scalp clean at all times. Shampooing very frequently can make the scalp dry, thereby causing dandruff. But, shampooing very less can make the scalp greasy and oily. It is advised to shampoo every 2 days or 3 days.
The shampoo that you use affects the scalp health as well. A lot of chemicals in shampoos can boost up dandruff. Using anti-dandruff shampoos is the best way to fight this issue.
Oils which have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties act as an aid to reduce Dandruff.
Aloe vera and lemon also help to control it. Creating a balance in the hair and scalp, without making it too dry or too oily is the solution to controlling Dandruff.
SO, these are some best ways to do dandruff treatment at home. You can try these dandruff home remedies and get rid of the dandruff problem. These natural remedies for dandruff are really good.
Dandruff cannot be cured, but it can only be controlled by continually taking care of the scalp and hair.